I've caught the blog bug once again. Not only will this keep my family and friends updated but will also help me remember my time with my growing children. I've changed the name and layout but don't really remember how to make it pretty so bear with me until I can figure it out. Time for an update. Vince and I have moved out of Peoria and into a comfortable home in Washington. About the time that we decided to start looking for a new house and also the same time I was accepted into the physical therapy assistant program, we found out I was pregnant. This was a big surprise to us as we had been preventing pregnancy since I was in school and didn't want to bring a child into the world while being so busy. We knew we could make it work somehow so I made an appointment at my OB and went in when I was about 8 weeks along. My midwife was going to do a sonogram to make sure there was a baby there and just happened to mention that last week a mom came in and found out she was expecting twins. The likely hood of the office having two moms expecting twins within in the same month was very slim and statistically didn't happen. I don't know why she mentioned that as I really didn't think it was possible for me to have twins since they don't run in my family. So the sonogram is underway and my midwife is looking for baby and says, "Well, statistics aren't always right.....you're having twins."
Shocked is an understatement. I was handed the sonogram picture and there were indeed two little heads just as she had stated. She had me go to the lab to get blood work done and I pulled out my phone and text Vince. He had teased that when I first found out I was pregnant it was probably twins just to scare me. This is how are texting conversation went. Me: "You were right, it's twins." long pause.........Vince: "What?" Me: "It's freaking twins!!!!" Vince: "We're going to need a bigger house."
The nurse came in and took my blood work, but must have missed the right area because I felt suddenly nauseous. I left the lab and headed to the checkout to make my next appointment. I was also told I would need to see a perinatologist as he deals with high risk pregnancies and twins are high risk. Standing in line to check out and things start to go dark and I feel extremely light headed. The receptionist sees how pale I've become and tells me to come around and sit down and asks if I'm ok. I just said, "I'm having twins." And that is how our story begins.
Fast forward nine months and the day has come for my twins to be born. I was scheduled for a c-section on 11/11/11 at 10:45 am. My nurses were hoping to get me in at 11:11am because they all thought it would be really special, however my OB had another surgery and I didn't end up going into the OR until 11:30am. Backtracking a bit, Vince and I were waiting in our room for the nurses to take me back and it felt like it took forever and the longer we were waiting the more nervous I was getting. The finally came into the room and told Vince to put on his 'space suit' and they would come back for him once I was set up.
I walked back to the OR and they had me sit on the side of the table and bend my back like a cat so the anesthesiologist could put in my spinal. I'd had an epidural with my son and I don't remember it hurting, but maybe it's because I was in so much pain from the contractions that I didn't even notice. This spinal did hurt, but I'm sure my nerves didn't help. They kept telling me not to move and I had this fear that she would miss the spot and I would be paralyzed. Crazy thoughts going through my head. She got it and I was shaking so bad from the nerves. My OB comes in and the nurses tell him that I'm very nervous. He puts his arm around me and says "I'm nervous too" His joking made me feel a little better. The helped me lay on the table and get my legs situated and then the drape was put up. I was having trouble breathing and I threw up. I was given something for my breathing and oxygen in my nose. Vince came in then and I felt so much better with him there. I remember the nurses telling me that my OB would stick me with objects and ask if I could feel them to know if I was totally numb. He never asked, but I started feeling tugging and had no idea what was going on. I heard my baby crying and knew one was out. The next baby was breech and they had Vince sit down because they didn't want him seeing her being pulled out. I guess it looks weird when a baby is pulled out feet first. Both babies were taken to the warmers and I was asked if I wanted to stay awake so I could see my babies or given some sedation. I said I wanted to stay awake. I saw them getting all cleaned up and when the OB started putting me back together, I was given some sedation so I wouldn't feel the tugging and pulling. Next thing I know it's 20 minutes later and everyone is out of the room except for a few nurses who were cleaning me up. I must have lost a lot of blood because they kept saying something about it and that at least I didn't get any blood in my hair.
I was wheeled to recovery and the girls were brought in and I was given the chance to nurse them. It was so amazing having two little girls latched at the same time. I don't know how I'm going to do it by myself once I get home. I was in recovery for an hour and then taken to my regular room where I remain for the remainder of my stay. Some blood was drawn and I was told my hemoglobin was low and there was a possibility of a blood transfusion, but as of right now it sounds like I'll just be on Iron pills for at least the next 6 months. The whole birth was wonderful and the c-section not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm so happy to finally be able to hold my little girls. Now the fun begins going home and having my 2 year old learn to adjust to his new sisters.
you should call your blog "The real Beeney Babies" lol
ReplyDelete